Deliciously Tangy: Apple and Rhubarb Crumble Recipe to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
Apple and rhubarb crumble is a classic dessert that combines the sweet and tart flavors of apples and rhubarb with a crunchy, buttery topping. This comforting dish originated in England and has since become popular around the world. The combination of tender cooked fruit and a crispy crumble topping makes for a delightful texture contrast that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Whether enjoyed warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or cold as a breakfast treat, apple and rhubarb crumble is a deliciously tangy dessert that will leave you wanting more.
Ingredients required for Apple and Rhubarb Crumble
To make this deliciously tangy Apple and Rhubarb Crumble, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 cups of peeled and sliced apples
- 2 cups of chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
These ingredients are readily available in most grocery stores and can be easily sourced. Make sure to use fresh, ripe apples and rhubarb for the best flavor.
Step-by-step instructions to make Apple and Rhubarb Crumble
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, combine 4 cups of peeled, cored, and sliced apples with 2 cups of chopped rhubarb.
3. Add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the fruit mixture. Mix well.
4. Transfer the fruit mixture into the greased baking dish and spread it evenly.
5. In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and a pinch of salt.
6. Cut in 1/2 cup of cold butter using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
7. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the fruit in the baking dish.
8. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
9. Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy this deliciously tangy Apple and Rhubarb Crumble warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream on top!
Tips and variations for Apple and Rhubarb Crumble
Tips and Variations for Apple and Rhubarb Crumble:
1. Experiment with different types of apples to find your preferred flavor and texture. Granny Smith apples are tart and hold their shape well, while Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apples add sweetness.
2. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg to the crumble topping for extra warmth and spice.
3. For a healthier twist, substitute some of the butter in the crumble topping with coconut oil or almond butter.
4. Enhance the tanginess by adding a handful of fresh cranberries or a squeeze of lemon juice to the fruit mixture.
5. For a crunchy twist, mix some chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans into the crumble topping.
6. Serve warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for an indulgent treat.
7. Make individual servings by baking the crumble in ramekins or small oven-safe dishes for a charming presentation.
Remember, feel free to experiment and make this recipe your own by adjusting the ingredients and flavors according to your taste preferences!
Health benefits of Apple and Rhubarb Crumble
Apple and Rhubarb Crumble not only satisfies your sweet tooth, but it also offers several health benefits. Here are some reasons why you can indulge guilt-free:
1. High in fiber: Both apples and rhubarb are rich in dietary fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy digestive system. Fiber also helps to keep you feeling fuller for longer, reducing the urge to snack on unhealthy foods.
2. Packed with vitamins: Apples are a great source of vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and supports collagen production for healthy skin. Rhubarb is rich in vitamin K, essential for blood clotting and bone health.
3. Antioxidant-rich: Apples contain antioxidants like quercetin, which may help reduce inflammation and lower the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain types of cancer.
4. Low in calories: Apple and Rhubarb Crumble can be a lighter dessert option compared to other high-calorie treats. By using natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup instead of refined sugar, you can enjoy a delicious dessert without excessive calories.
Remember to enjoy this dessert in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
In conclusion, the Apple and Rhubarb Crumble is a delightful dessert that combines the tartness of rhubarb with the sweetness of apples. It is a perfect treat to satisfy your sweet tooth. The crumbly topping adds a nice texture to the soft fruit filling, making it a truly comforting dish.
To serve, you can enjoy the Apple and Rhubarb Crumble on its own or pair it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for an added indulgence. You can also drizzle some caramel sauce or sprinkle cinnamon powder on top for extra flavor.
This dessert is best served warm, straight out of the oven. However, you can also refrigerate any leftovers and enjoy them cold later. Just make sure to reheat them in the oven before serving to regain their crispy texture.
Whether you are hosting a dinner party or simply treating yourself after a long day, the Apple and Rhubarb Crumble is sure to impress your guests or provide you with a satisfying homemade dessert. So go ahead, give this recipe a try and indulge in its delicious tangy goodness!
Published: 05. 02. 2024